Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

2 posters

Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches.

Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches. Empty Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches.

Post  Ivonne Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 am

It seems to go in pieces. That's how it seems to go even for a horse. There's "time" in there; it's just as well not to crowd the horse if he isn't ready for it. You keep offering, trying to help as much as you can, without troubling him too much about it. Then, there will be a day when it will just clear right up. - TD

Your thoughts?
    Rocky Red
    Rocky Red
    Mustang

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches. Empty Re: Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches.

Post  Rocky Red Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Ivonne, I'm embarrased to say that I know nothing about Tom Dorrance. Can you recommend some reading material on him study
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches. Empty Re: Training in Pieces. Horses Don't Wear Watches.

Post  Ivonne Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:14 am

Don't worry. I won't throw a rock at you for not knowing Hey you

Truth is, unless you actually go looking for info on him, for the most part, most people don't know who he is (I haven't met anyone yet who knows the name when I say it. Everyone knows Parelli, then Lyons, then maybe Clinton Anderson and so on). Only reason I know about him is because I'm the type of person that likes to get to the root of the info. Where did this stuff really come from? Who started it? Why did they get the idea for it? It fascinates me to know that there were people like Tom around to bring out this stuff.

He never really brought himself out into the public eye, though. He didn't turn into a public persona like Parelli or Lyons. He quietly taught a number of people all about the basics for this natural horsemanship, one of who is Ray Hunt (who still does clinics even at the age of 70-something or 80-something? I went to see him a few weeks ago here in Calif)

Anyhow, just a little background: Tom Dorrance and his brother Bill taught people. Ray Hunt and others, Ray brought it into the public eye with clinics and John Lyons, Pat Parelli and others brought it out even further.

Everything you read in any Lyons book, comes from Tom Dorrance. His exact words. That's why I thought it would be cool to shed some light on the origins, so to speak.

Yeah, people have had these Natural Horsemanship ideas (don't use force/pain/intimidation) since Xenophon, but it wasn't until someone like Tom Dorrance, his brother Bill and then Ray Hunt, did this come out more into public view, for people like Lyons, Parelli, etc... to expand on it and tweak it into their own lesson styles (parelli and his games, and Lyons and his bridlework)

You can go to Tom's website (he died a few years ago):

http://www.tomdorrance.com/

He isn't direct like Lyons who's able to just tell you what's what. He's more "cryptic" and that's why I thought it'd be cool to put here and discuss some of his ideas directly from his book: True Unity

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 pm