Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

4 posters

One step or clock exercise

mtnmollie
    Mustang

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

One step or clock exercise Empty One step or clock exercise

Post  mtnmollie Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:18 am

Why ride your horse piece by piece? What can one step do?
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

One step or clock exercise Empty Re: One step or clock exercise

Post  Ivonne Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:21 am

one step, two step..three step...four! little by little ... piece by piece ...then put it all together and you get the whole enchilada!

speaking of which....isn't it lunchtime already?

But seriously....yes....building blocks of training. don't start with your goal, but with the first step toward it....then add to that.

It's awesome when you put it all together.

Clock Exercises.... taking it down to the baby step level.....have you been practicing this lately, Moll?
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 am

I step on one, and then on two. I can two track at different angles across the arena.
    If horsie wont follow my soft leg, my rein cue can give him a demand step here now! LOL> Horsie got softer to my leg.

When I step on 3 I have a sidepass.

4 and 5 then at 6 they back with no bridle cue.

Why does the clock make my horse so soft? cheers
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 am

Ivonne wrote:one step, two step..three step...four! little by little ... piece by piece ...then put it all together and you get the whole enchilada!

Clock Exercises.... taking it down to the baby step level.....have you been practicing this lately, Moll?

No., snow- ice and big winter.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 am

yOU CAN GET ONE STEP WITH NO FIGHT- AND NO TEARS and NO RESIST IN YOUr COLT.

oops. Cap lock?

Kiy taught me that. Susie taught me that.
    And John taught me that.

If you can not get step 7 go back to step 6- or 5 or 4-
    ( do not keep pushin for step 7)

I learned to do this when I trained my colts.
    I learned to ask for yes answers, yes answers are answers i know I will get.

Then I did a clinic. We all got yes answers. I saw what my students could do- and we did that and then build on it. This is why my lessons were taught out of order.
    I found the yes order. LOL> it was cool.

Teaching people, and horses at the same time is way harder than just teaching colts.

My clinic thread got deleated off the other board, LOL.
    This was 2 years ago now.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

Number of posts : 156

One step or clock exercise Empty Clock exercise

Post  appy_lover Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:30 am

OK -- I grasp the basic visual of the clock and stepping on different numbers. But.....can someone lay this out for me in a little more detail? For example, Molly you said stepping on 3 0 clock is a sidepass. But that is only true if you are moving laterally. Stepping on 3 oclock with the front feet could just be a 90 degree turn to the right....

So....is the clock exercise about moving the shoulders over? or is it about moving the whole body towards the number in question?

Splain me please, me and Noey need something to do in the barn aisle...
    Hi there
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Dee on JLboard got on all 4s to understand the clock.

When I get on all 4's and do a 90 degree turn right i step on 4.
    4 then 3 = 90 fer me.

Feet or shoulders? Clockwork is movig one foot to me. When I move one front foot it moves the shoulder- all body parts are connected and go with the one foot.
    So either works.

When JL moved from moving the one foot to movig the shoulder I got lost. LOL>

For me to move a shoulder- I must move a foot. They are connected. I can't move a shoulder without the foot. When I move the foot the shoulder follows.

Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?

One foot can move the hindqts too.

Turn on forehand, turn on hanches- starts with one foot.
    Spin is move or place one foot- then another.

Every step of preformance is move one foot- then another.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm

appy_lover wrote:

So....is the clock exercise about moving the shoulders over? or is it about moving the whole body towards the number in question?

Splain me please, me and Noey need something to do in the barn aisle...
    Hi there

For me, clockwork is moving one foot to the clock number one step. not two steps.
    That follows later. One step. Perfect one step.

Perhaps Create energy.( cirlce and walk. )
    or perhaps not- stand.
    Decide direction. one o'clock.
    or move hip over and step on 2 with right hind.
    Cue - request. ( Connect one rein to one foot.)
    Response. Good horse.
    Release reward. release rein cue and praise.

They learn faster with praise.

Set the horse up for yes answers.

when I began clock work at home, ( after my clinic) my horse gave me wrong answers. I accepted them,
    release and praise on try.

If I lost forward energy on a circle- I got mumbers like 4 and 5 when I wanted 1 or 2. This was my mistake- and I learned how to create yes answers by learning my mistakes.

John says freebies are when the horse gives you what you are not looking for.

I was easy on my horse as we both learned the clock.

I trained way slower then John taught us. I used more steps in training to help horsie get it.
    horselovin'gal
    horselovin'gal
    Mustang

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post  horselovin'gal Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:53 am

Okay, still trying to grasp this one...
    If the clock is on the ground and it's big, is the horse's butt staying relatively in the center of the clock and the shoulders/feet directed towards the numbers???

and where is the person standing in relation to the horse?..let's say the horse's chest is facing one o'clock, and I'm trying to get the horse to move his right shoulder towards two o'clock.

Is the person standing inside of the clock or outside, or where in specifics, is the person standing in relation to the clock?

thanks for the help.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:10 pm

On the JLboard I got a Bryer horse and a paper plate to explain what i learned at my JL Clinic. On the edge of your paper plate write the numbers of the clock from your watch.

You stand in the center of the paper plate. ( in your mind, LOL> )

The Bryer horse walks a circle around the paper plate. His left side to you.

You draw a line from the center (of the paper plate) to one o'clock.

You walk toward your horses left shoulder on that line. ( Your horse is walking a circle- so get your timing right. )

You cup your hand like you are going to hold an egg and slap the horse on the shoulder if he will not move away from your space. ( forward because of energetic walk and sideways on one.)

This will knock the horse on the one o'clock line ( you traveled) off the paper plate- out of your cirlce- to one o'clock.

The horse is walking a circle. Then he steps out of the circle on one.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm

One JL Cert said you can put each foot under a clock.

foot HERE. Step one step HERE2.

HERE2 is on 3 o'clock.

Hope that makes sence.

My horse is standing still. I move the hip over.
    Each time he takes one step- that foot steps on a clock number. It is useally 2.

The right hind foot movig away from me.
    I am at the left nose or shoulder.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:29 am

Clear as mud right?

It took me forever to get this. Sweet!

But now, when Les Vogt tells me to move any body part, head, neck, shoulder, hip, rib- I can do it. Yippee, on me. LOL.

And I know where the feet step in a shoulder in, so I can do that too-
    at my clinic even though I had never done it before. Yippee on me.

One step gets you all steps in any preformance or any dance.
    One step leads to two.

Perfect one step and you perfect the whole horse.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

Post  appy_lover Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:47 am

mtnmollie wrote:Clear as mud right?

It took me forever to get this. Sweet!

But now, when Les Vogt tells me to move any body part, head, neck, shoulder, hip, rib- I can do it. Yippee, on me. LOL.

And I know where the feet step in a shoulder in, so I can do that too-
    at my clinic even though I had never done it before. Yippee on me.

One step gets you all steps in any preformance or any dance.
    One step leads to two.

Perfect one step and you perfect the whole horse.

THanks, Moll, I think I get it....one foot one step on one number. EZ as pie...... NOT!
    :lol:
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:33 am

Yep> I first saw it done at a JL clinic.

Hay! Wait! You can't do that! LOL.

I got on teh horse of a clinic partisipant, picked up teh left rein ( cue)
    horse stepped right on 3.

I still did not get it. LOL.

It can't be done. Not possible.
    I took a clinic, achieved teh clock-
    but stil did "not get it." LOL>

Its so simple- its hard. LOL.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

One step or clock exercise Empty Thanks again...

Post  appy_lover Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 pm

I saw where you "bumped" an old post up on the other board. Basically, doing the clock on the ground -- as an extension of bridlework. That is so cool and I dont know why I never thought of that. I have only ever done 3, 6, 9 and 12 on the ground. Why only multiples of 3???? Need to "loosen up" my clock LOL!
    in sync
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 am

I am glad that helped yah. Sweet!

I found some stuff over there to put ( save) in word.
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.

Post  Ivonne Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Hey Mollie Hi , please feel free to post a copy of any training material here, too.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

One step or clock exercise Empty So here is how I am now starting to work on the clock....

Post  appy_lover Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:38 pm

We are walking along, I am walking at her left shoulder. When I am ready, I envision that I am walking onto the face of a giant clock. The clock has lines drawn from the center of the clock to each number. I am walking straight ahead on the line which connects 6 to 12 through the center. I am always facing 12 o clock. I pick up the left rein and ask for her right front foot to take one step on the line that runs to one oclock. As soon as that foot takes one step towards one o clock I release and continue walking towards 12 oclock. After a few steps I ask for that foot to step on two oclock, release, walk forward. Then 3 oclock, release, walk forward. Now I switch sides. I am walking by her right shoulder. Now I am asking her LEFT front foot to step on 11....then 10....then 9. Yay! She aces this part Yippee Skippy
    Next I switch sides again, I am now on her left side again. Now comes the fun stuff -- TOWARDS ME. Coolio Banana I pick up the rein and ask for her LF to step on 11 oclock, release, walk forward, now 10 oclock, release, walk forward, now 9 oclock, release, walk forward. Switch sides, I am on her right side. I ask for 1 oclock, release, walk forward, 2 oclock, release, walk forward, 3 oclock, release, walk forward.

We havent tackled the bottom of the clock yet. We need more work on leg yield towards. Since I taught her this as as extension of hips in I cant get the shoulder to step in without first getting the hip to step in. But theres time for that in our future friend
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:08 am

Ivonne wrote:Hey Mollie Hi , please feel free to post a copy of any training material here, too.

ok. Thses are RT's notes from clemson off old board, before 2005.

In Hand (Bridle Work) Notes from Clemson By RT~ The Barefoot Chicken

These are the notes I took from the first half of Saturday:

1) Go forward.
    2) Hips moving over and stop at the walk. Alternate sides through this whole exercise. This is basically the very first steps to WESN.
    3) GTTB Spot 1 ("the horse needs to hand you his nose") at a walk, with a release, then ask for the hips over and a stop. When you have the horse stop, you want a "stop with energy." How do you get more energy with the stop? You ask the horse to move out with energy right up till the stop, none of this ambling or shuffling to a stop.
    4) Proper head elevation (his request was for tips of ears level with withers, but you determine where you want it), release, get the nose, release, get the hips over and stop.
    5) Get backing up after the stop with the hips over. This happens almost automatically. Arashi was doing that before I was asking for it. *blink* Maybe he read my mind? And actually, you don't even need a "stop" to do this. John pointed out that Josh had actually shown him that a horse can be moving it's back feet backwards while it's front are still going forward - no stop, just a continuous shift from forward to backward.

It builds incrementally on itself. He says the horse already "knows" the next step before you ask it, because you've essentially already been working them on it.

6) Get the big neck muscle to relax. (Spot 3?) If the neck is tense, hold till the neck relaxes, release, get elevation, release, get the nose, release, gets hips over, a backup and a stop. *lol*
    7) "Two spots together." Nose to the point of the shoulder. This one is where things get a little more interesting, because this is where *I* was having the most trouble with Arashi. JL really pulls the horse's head in to the shoulder, but made it clear you do not want that nose PAST the point of the shoulder. It will flex to the side, and that's ok. That is when the neck muscle will start changing from being big at the bottom and thin at the top, to the other way around. And honestly, that happens in a very short period of time. I was amazed by that. What is really cool is that by the time you've gotten this far, the "releases" are so small they're virtually invisible to an observer. The horse is beginning to understand the nose and elevation, and so doesn't require you to ask for them anymore. Also, ALL of this is done at a walk, so you have to be consistent about applying the go forward cue so the horse doesn't stop at first, thinking you're asking for that when you're really asking for elevation or relaxation, etc. It's so easy, really, but … requires coordination and focus and practice – oh, and patience. I was surprised at how far Arashi got in only about an hour with me bumbling all over the place! This is where you start to have control over the shoulder, and move to the clockwork part.
    Cool Once you have the horse giving to "two spots together" as he called it, the next step is to start asking for one step to 1 o'clock. Bring the two spots together, then release as soon as you get even a thought in that direction, and do a hips over and stop.
    9) After you have that, you do the 3 o'clock.
    10) Now 5 o'clock.
    11) Here comes the real fun. Now you ask for the horse to move TOWARD you with the rein. Ask for 11 o'clock.
    12) Now 9 o'clock.
    13) Now 7 o'clock.
    At this point, you can literally start "dancing" with your horse. You have control over the hips, nose, and shoulder, and you have WESN going, plus clockwork.

You also have the reverse arc at this point. JL calls that a situation where you're just asking for that shoulder to move away from you faster than the back end is moving.

If the horse throws his head all over, jumps around, kicks, whatever, just ignore it as long as you aren't in danger. If you stay in the "safe zone" at the shoulder, you should be just fine. He said that all that behavior is completely natural until the horse figures out what you want. Also the horse coming into you with the shoulder is completely normal at first, until you get control of the shoulder, and again, just to ignore it and move out of the way.

moved by permission from RT.
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:10 am

appy_lover wrote:We are walking along, I am walking at her left shoulder. When I am ready, I envision that I am walking onto the face of a giant clock. The clock has lines drawn from the center of the clock to each number. I am walking straight ahead on the line which connects 6 to 12 through the center. I am always facing 12 o clock. I pick up the left rein and ask for her right front foot to take one step on the line that runs to one oclock. As soon as that foot takes one step towards one o clock I release and continue walking towards 12 oclock. After a few steps I ask for that foot to step on two oclock, release, walk forward. Then 3 oclock, release, walk forward. Now I switch sides. I am walking by her right shoulder. Now I am asking her LEFT front foot to step on 11....then 10....then 9. Yay! She aces this part Yippee Skippy
    Next I switch sides again, I am now on her left side again. Now comes the fun stuff -- TOWARDS ME. Coolio Banana I pick up the rein and ask for her LF to step on 11 oclock, release, walk forward, now 10 oclock, release, walk forward, now 9 oclock, release, walk forward. Switch sides, I am on her right side. I ask for 1 oclock, release, walk forward, 2 oclock, release, walk forward, 3 oclock, release, walk forward.

We havent tackled the bottom of the clock yet. We need more work on leg yield towards. Since I taught her this as as extension of hips in I cant get the shoulder to step in without first getting the hip to step in. But theres time for that in our future friend

yeah AL! You are so much way smarter than me. Coolio Banana

Cool bananna.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

One step or clock exercise Empty Mollie, are you coming to RTTH?

Post  appy_lover Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:03 am

yeah AL! You are so much way smarter than me. Coolio Banana

Cool bananna.

I would love to meet ya!

and..... PS.... nope, not smarter than you, just OBSESSED with teeny tiny improvements between me and my horse. When I have 5 minutes to work with her I dont say "I wish I had an hour" -- I just make the most of the 5 minutes. At least thats the attitude I strive for. study
    horselovin'gal
    horselovin'gal
    Mustang

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post  horselovin'gal Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:46 am

Coolio Banana Sweet! THANKS MOLLIE AND ALL HERE ON THIS ONE...

Got IT!!!! I can see it now!! Yay!! and I can't wait to try it!

I also love all these new dudes>> Coolio Banana Yippee Skippy Yeeha Sweet!

How fun!!
    (you're right Mollie, so simple, it's hard! oiy!

Thanks you guys! in sync
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:56 am

yeah peeps!

Must be the year for the clock?

Denise got it on the other board too. LOL> Yeeha
    mtnmollie
    Mustang

Post  mtnmollie Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 am

from Ivonne 8-21-05

To give to the bit means the horse is responsive to the rein cues.

That is, when you take the slack out of the rein, the horse responds by moving a particular body part, one that you want him to move.

You then refine the cue so that you only begin to take the slack out, barely touch the rein and the horse responds immediately without pulling.

It feels like the horse weighs nothing. It gives "soft" and his body complies, and is also soft.

The goal is to move a body part, (foot- shoulder- hip) with an air give, by just barely picking up the rein.

So, giving to the bit, is just another way of saying, your horse responds immediately without hesitation or resistance to the "tension" on the rein--slight tension, as in the slack is taken out, or refined so it's just before you take out all the slack....that is as you are taking out the slack, the horse drops his head, or he moves a hip, a shoulder, etc...without "fighting" or resisting. This is what giving to the bit is all about.

A horse gives (moves a body part) when he feels pressure from the bit.

I think I am just beginning to "get it."

I pick up the rein, (which is slack or has float in it) and get a response.
    But we teach in steps, and dont start with the goal.
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

Post  appy_lover Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 am

I think I am just beginning to "get it."

I pick up the rein, (which is slack or has float in it) and get a response.
    But we teach in steps, and dont start with the goal.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!! Coolio Banana

Float, "air-gives", "she is reading my mind"..... thats what we are all looking for!

We just need to wait for it....recognize it...reward it....

Yay for u Moll!

ARE YOU GOING TO BE AT ROAD TO THE HORSE, MOLLY?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:17 pm