Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

+2
Shadowfax
haunani
6 posters

Rope Reins

haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Number of posts : 27
    Humor : Yes, please
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Rope Reins Empty Rope Reins

Post  haunani Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Yup, reins.

To be more specific, yacht braid rope reins, 1/2". I use the same brands as the big names. The usual lengths are 9', 10' and 12', with 10' being the most common. I add leather slobber straps which buckle onto the bit and reins (no chicago screws!), as the reins are finished with eye splices for strength and a clean, finished look.

Most of the reins I make are black w/black slobbers, but other colors are available. I have made white (which has a blue tracer in it, as seen in the picture), white/gold, purple, and red so far. The colors depends on the availability of the rope.

My current price is $35/set, which includes shipping to the lower 48. For shipping to other places, contact me privately to see what it would cost.

I need to get better pictures, but since both of my bridles are back in IA for the time being, this is the best one I have illustrating the look of the reins/slobbers.

Rope Reins MeteorWatchingAsa

And just for kicks... (Yes, that's Ivonne on my boy Mars playing 'jockey'. He looks so enthused, doesn't he?)

Rope Reins Mars-Jockey

Last edited by haunani on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Shadowfax
    Shadowfax
    Mustang

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Rope Reins Empty Re: Rope Reins

Post  Shadowfax Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I have two sets of Carmen's reins and can vouch for her quality. Very nice!
    weststar
    weststar
    Mustang

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2009-04-02

Post  weststar Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:33 am

I like the leather straps on your reins. I notice some come with clips held in place with a looped end and conway buckles. Do conway buckles hold those well? I'm just curious. I just purchased a new bit and headstall for Nautti. Looking at reins now.
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:28 am

I just have a personal aversion to conway buckles, so I honestly can't say how well they can work. (I just don't like how they look, so I don't buy tack that has them. *shrug*)
    wjm in wi
    wjm in wi
    Mustang

Number of posts : 191
    Humor : clean and dry
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post  wjm in wi Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Carmen!
    Question for you about your reins.....I see that you put the rope through the slobber strap and then loop back and attach the rope to itself again....how are you attaching it? Sewing it? Can't tell from your pic.
    Thanks! I made reins that Heidi is using on Wyoming now, but I want to make some new ones for Scout and am not sure if I'll do it the same way or try something else!
    PMVR
    PMVR

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  PMVR Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:09 pm

wjminwi It looks to me as though the loop in the rein is the way it's made. It's fed into itself with a fid. The slobber strap is through that loop.
    Shadowfax
    Shadowfax
    Mustang

Post  Shadowfax Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Conway buckles- I avoid them as much as possible I hate the things. They are difficult to manage and yes they can and do fall off. Carmen's reins have regular buckles on them.

The rein end does indeed have a looped end through which the slobber strap is placed. I don't know how she did it either but its a smooth seamless joint, not sewed in looks like probably what PMVR describes.

I have been using these reins for two years or so now. Still in great shape.
    wjm in wi
    wjm in wi
    Mustang

Post  wjm in wi Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 pm

PMVR wrote:wjminwi It looks to me as though the loop in the rein is the way it's made. It's fed into itself with a fid. The slobber strap is through that loop.
    What's a fid???
    Shadowfax
    Shadowfax
    Mustang

Post  Shadowfax Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am

haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:58 am

Yup, I do a full eye splice with a fid to make the 'loops' at the ends of the reins. A good splice is VERY strong (as evidenced by Mars busting both a solid brass and solid stainless steel snap on his lead rope without even budging the splice).

Plus, I just like the nice, clean look of the splice over one wrapped with twine.

And using the slobber straps I do, if they break, they're super easy to replace without having to replace the reins (and they can be taken off to wash the reins, which is nice with white reins).

The first set of reins I made was about 4-4.5 years ago, and they're still going strong with Meteor (the same ones I used at the clinic) with the original slobber straps.
    Shadowfax
    Shadowfax
    Mustang

Post  Shadowfax Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 am

Oh I had wanted to ask that. Are they safe to wash in the laundry? Mine could use a good cleaning.
    wjm in wi
    wjm in wi
    Mustang

Post  wjm in wi Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 am

OK! I learned what a fid is! Cool
    And now I understand what you did with the reins too.
    Thanks for posting the websites, Shadowfax!
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:44 am

Shadowfax wrote:Oh I had wanted to ask that. Are they safe to wash in the laundry? Mine could use a good cleaning.
    They most certainly are! Mine would look DISGUSTING by now if I didn't wash them 2-3 times a year (being white and all). After last year's labor day weekend (Meteor got ridden 2 long rides, 2 days in a row), the parts that touched his neck were BLACK... blech!
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post  Ivonne Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:08 am

Hi Carmen! HELLO

Okay, I may have a couple of orders for you from clients here at the barn.

Can you make a pair of reins without the slobber straps but with clips instead? These would be for Dr Cook's bitless. 10ft.....the person wants these in brown.

The other reins (10 ft also)...I forgot what color they wanted (I think red, but lemme check tomorrow).... they do want slobber straps.

So...how does this work? You want money first or when you finish the reins? How long would it take you to make the reins?

Thanks!
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:54 am

Ivonne wrote:Hi Carmen! HELLO

Okay, I may have a couple of orders for you from clients here at the barn.

Can you make a pair of reins without the slobber straps but with clips instead? These would be for Dr Cook's bitless. 10ft.....the person wants these in brown.

The other reins (10 ft also)...I forgot what color they wanted (I think red, but lemme check tomorrow).... they do want slobber straps.

So...how does this work? You want money first or when you finish the reins? How long would it take you to make the reins?

Thanks!
    I can't really do it without the slobber straps, but I can make the slobber straps super short for less movement between the reins and slobber straps.

The colors I have available to me are:
    Black
    Purple
    Pink
    White w/blue tracer
    White/Gold

Oh, and money first (for ordering supplies). It usually takes me 1-2 weeks to make/ship them after I receive the supplies. With it being the end of the school year and the horses coming up soon, it could be 2-3 weeks (just depends on when I get the supplies in, really).
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 am

Cool. Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'll talk to the people tomorrow. And I'll also post a flyer at the barn incase anyone else wants em. These 2 people saw my JL reins and really liked em and I remembered you make em so...

I'll post tomorrow, colors and all.

Thanks again!

Coolio Banana
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:27 am

Thanks!

I have one pair ordered now, so the sooner you can get back with me, the better. I like to order as much rope at one time as I can to help defray the shipping costs. Sweet!
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:27 am

Ugh. They need to make up their mind! Might have one more to order. Once they found out you can get pink and purple, too! Well.... I'll push em tomorrow to gimme a definite as to which and the $ so I can get that sent out to you asap, too.

What's your Address to send the check? If you don't want to post it here, send it by private message.
    Thanks!

Say, gimme a good picture of the reins and I can post em on my website. That way, people can just go there and order em directly from you...good idea, no? I can put the picture there of the reins with some info. Let me know if you'd like to do that. It seems that every time I use my JL reins people really take an interest and at least one person wants a pair or two. So, I can then tell them about you and send some biz your way. I'll be starting up doing clinics and I'll mention you there, too.
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:03 am

Oh wow, I love the idea of being on your website Sweet!

Once I get my reins again, I'll get a good shot of them. They're currently on the bridles with the horses in Iowa.howdy stranger

I'll PM you the addy.

For reference, if anyone's seen them, the pink and purple are the same as what Clinton Anderson uses. The purple is a nice, royal purple color. I haven't seen the pink in person, yet, so I can't describe that one.
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 am

Cool!

these people are still making up their minds. They're a definite, though. They do want em. Just are thinking about the pink and purple and white and gold. I'm betting they'll order one of each. One lady loves purple. Has everything in purple and wears purple every day. The other has pink tack...

Gimme til Thursday. I'll also put up a flyer at the barn, maybe others will want some, too. Gimme a PICTURE! in sync
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 am

Ivonne wrote:Cool!
    Gimme a PICTURE! in sync
    The horses will be here in about 2 weeks, so I'll be able to get a picture then. Sweet!
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 am

Cool! That'll be awesome. Be sure to take pics from all angles against a dark background (side of a barn?) for the light reins and a light background for the dark reins to really show them off.
    I got the money for 3 orders right now. I bet soon as these people ride with their new reins, others will ask em about it. Most people around here are riding with the split or the english....but they seem to like the look and feel of the rope reins. I know I've gotten spoiled with them.
    I sent you a PM just telling you that I got the money Sweet!
    1-black
    1-purple (CUT THE SLOBBER STRAPS SMALL) it's for a bitless bridle.
    1- white/gold
    all 10ft regular size. please!
    haunani
    haunani
    Mustang

Post  haunani Sun May 31, 2009 1:21 am

Finally, some pictures.

First up, black.

Rope Reins Black3

Rope Reins Black2

The splice, a little closer.
    Rope Reins Black1

Second, gold/white.

Rope Reins GoldWhite2

Rope Reins GoldWhite1
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Nice pictures! gimme a short time and I'll post em on my website. Yippee Skippy
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Post  Ivonne Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 am

Took me forever, but I finally got em on my site. Let me know about contact info. I sent you a PM about that. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:41 am