Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

2 posters

Pressure and Release of Pressure

Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Pressure and Release of Pressure Empty Pressure and Release of Pressure

Post  Ivonne Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:04 pm

It may seem at first that pressure is something the horse is wanting but the last thing he would like to be doing is putting pressure on himself, but he doesn't know what else to do. It is our responsibility to help him overcome his problem.

This quote reminds me of when a person has a "lazy" horse that they overuse pressure with, further dulling the horse to pressure, instead of teaching the horse to respond to light...

So, when you start with light....and add more as needed...until the horse finally responds, then reward his try with an immediate release of pressure = I think only then can the horse start to fully understand..."Oh! If I move quicker...at the lightest pressure...I'll get released sooner" = the horse starts to respond sooner to lighter pressure.

The horse is learning to yield to that firmness. We are trying to present it to him as if he puts that pressure on himself, and when he figures out it's him that's putting the pressure on, then he finds a way to relieve himself of that pressure by yielding to his own pressure. Then it becomes his idea.

Hmmm...like when a person hangs on the reins or the line a little too long and ends up pulling against the horse = the horse knows....the pressure is coming from the rider/handler = the horse doesn't want to do it (respond).

BUT if the person takes the slack out and holds and waits. Waits. And Waits. The horse won't get in a tug of war. Instead, he learns he's pulling on himself and then it's his idea to give to that pressure.

Your thoughts? Examples with your horse?
    Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Pressure and Release of Pressure Empty Re: Pressure and Release of Pressure

Post  Daisygldfsh Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Ivonne wrote:[size=14BUT if the person takes the slack out and holds and waits. Waits. And Waits. The horse won't get in a tug of war. Instead, he learns he's pulling on himself and then it's his idea to give to that pressure.

Your thoughts? Examples with your horse?[/size]

the tug of war is the last thing you want to get into with a 1000lb animal.But do I understand you correctly, that the horse is giving to the pressure? When do you reward w/the release? And do you teach the horse to collect all the time?
    If I'm riding Sam on a trail ride, I just drop the reins and let her go. When we first began, she use to trip over her own feet. I worked on collected her and she did much better but now I just let her go. Should I be working on collected her all the time when we are just taking a leisure trail ride?
    I know with the Bern, I need to work harder at getting softer with him. I feel like all my actions are so exaggerated to get him to respond.
    to get him to lower his head and relax, I irritate him. I giggle the reins and lightly tap him his sides with my legs and say to him "head down."
    Right or wrong, it works well with him. I just giggle or tap him and his head nose dives and he becomes calm.
    So am I doing this right? Ahhhhh.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:28 am