Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

5 posters

Back to Basics

Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to Basics Empty Back to Basics

Post  Ivonne Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:29 am

I started to read Tom Dorrance's book: True Unity when I first was going through certification, and I sort of understood it at that time. And the more experience I got with training, the more his words really started to sink in.

This is by no means, parting from Lyons training (incase you're wondering what the heck all this Dorrance talk is coming from)....on the contrary, this IS the Lyons training. It's the CORE of the basic foundation to any and all (what's deemed) natural horsemanship training.

I like to get to the original stuff from time to time and get back to basics. I think it's a good thing to always remember where it all came from. Yes, there've been "horse whisperers" since Xenophone....but Tom Dorrance was the first to bring this type of "gentle horsemanship" to the forefront. And Lyons, Paralli, Denis Reis, Chris Cox, Etc... they have brought it to the public.

So, in that respect, though...it did start with Tom.

Learning to do Less is More....from his book:

The First "step":
    VISUALIZE approaching the horse with an attitude of total acceptance where any action or response from the horse will be met with understanding.

Picture yourself in a mad mood, tired mood, not in a great frame of mind to train your horse. We've all been there, right? You get to the barn, and you start to think negatively...."oh, man, it's going to be a hassle. Oh, man,...I know my horse is going to do this or that and I'm not going to like it..."

And guess what? It happens. So of course you think, "See? I knew it!"

BUT what happens when you approach with a better attitude? An open mind? Sure, out of habit, your horse might start to act in a negative way...but what if...you then changed that....and you became unemotional....emotionally detached....and just got tunnel vision for what you DO want...and therefore gave the horse a chance to respond to THAT. To the "positive" attitude?

Bet you saw a difference that day in your horse, huh?

Attitude is everything. Visualize positive. And stick with that.

It's the: Ask your horse what you DO want him to do, not what you DON'T want him to do, idea, right?

Your thoughts?
    Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to Basics Empty Re: Back to Basics

Post  Daisygldfsh Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 am

Well, I think you already know my thoughts on this! ;)
    When I'm on the ground with them, I usually have no troubles. However, if I'm working on a new concept, a new project, I've got to say, it is never as smooth or easy as I'd like it be simply because I am not totally sure of what I'm doing.

I never really gave it thought of how it affected the horse when I was riding. IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! That comes from first hand knowledge.

There were a bunch of us w/our horses last Friday and we got into a discussion of what exactly we were teaching our horses. We all decided that we weren't teaching them ENGLISH or how to speak human but rather we were trying to learn how to speak HORSE. Holy Crap!
    appy_lover
    appy_lover
    Mustang

Number of posts : 156

Back to Basics Empty This is so true.....

Post  appy_lover Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Daisygldfsh wrote:Well, I think you already know my thoughts on this! ;)
    When I'm on the ground with them, I usually have no troubles. However, if I'm working on a new concept, a new project, I've got to say, it is never as smooth or easy as I'd like it be simply because I am not totally sure of what I'm doing.

I never really gave it thought of how it affected the horse when I was riding. IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! That comes from first hand knowledge.

There were a bunch of us w/our horses last Friday and we got into a discussion of what exactly we were teaching our horses. We all decided that we weren't teaching them ENGLISH or how to speak human but rather we were trying to learn how to speak HORSE. Holy Crap!

It reminds me of a great quote from a book by Cormac McCarthy (he's a novelist, not a horse-trainer, but he writes about the old west a lot.) Anyway, there is a scene where the old wise horse trainer and the young upstart horse trainer are working together. The young guy is having trouble, the horse is getting more and more excited and the old guy comes to help him. Within a few minutes of calm "conversation" between the old guy and the horse, he begins to respond. The young guy asks "do you think he knows what you're sayin'?" amd the old guy responds "Nope. But he understands what I mean." I just loved that exchange. Horses can read your intentions like an open book. If you approach with fear, anger, or uncertainty, they will respond poorly. But even a somewhat inept or inexperienced trainer can have good success if they approach with a calm and positive attitude and believe in what they are doing.
    Rodger
    Rodger
    Mustang

Number of posts : 77

Post  Rodger Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:35 am

Some of my best conversation lately have been with horses. I never say word but they know what I'm saying. I personally think Breeze knows me better than anyone. She knows what I want her to do and she knows when I'm serious about it.
    Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Number of posts : 57

Post  Daisygldfsh Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:16 am

[quote="appy_lover But even a somewhat inept or inexperienced trainer can have good success if they approach with a calm and positive attitude and believe in what they are doing.[/quote]

You know, I truly resemble that comment. :P I've got the attitude not the experience!!!!
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.

Post  Ivonne Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 am

If you approach with fear, anger, or uncertainty, they will respond poorly. But even a somewhat inept or inexperienced trainer can have good success if they approach with a calm and positive attitude and believe in what they are doing.

YES! cheers ...doesn't matter if you are an expert or not,...just take a lesson...stick with it...BELIEVE in it (which causes the positive and calm attitude), focus on what you DO want....and the horse will respond.

The horse will respond way better than if the person acts uncertain/fearful. You may still get a little static,...but it will go away faster and it'll be a lot less...way less...than if you're acting unsure of yourself/inimidated/fearful.

You can BE unsure of yourself on the inside...but you're not allowed to show it/act on it. Cause that's when you get in trouble...
    Rocky Red
    Rocky Red
    Mustang

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post  Rocky Red Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 am

As a fan of Star Trek I've found that there are great advantages to behaving as Mr Spock would, being without emotion and focusing on the issue at hand. There is no question that when I get on my horses with the attitude that we are going to have a great time, that is exactly what happens. If I expect something to happen, i.e. a spook or bad behavior, that is exactly what happens. There is a great article in this last issue of Perfect Horse with a pic of John and Brandi out riding with smiles on their faces. The caption reads something like -- when John and Brandi are relaxed and thinking about having fun, so are their horses. This is sooooooo true. It is all in what you are thinking. I am forever amazed at how sensitive our horses are to what we are thinking and feeling. They do just what we 'expect' them to do. So it's all about controlling your thoughts and getting rid of the emotion -- like Mr. Spock :twisted: It's just not always that easy for us humans :lol:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content