Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

2 posters

Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do?

Lil Imp
    Colt

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do? Empty Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do?

Post  Lil Imp Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Ok last year the area i was living in we might see 1 to 2 ticks in the year. I never had any on any of the cats or dogs and one on a mare i had.

But now the area i am living in they are all over. You can pick 10 off and the next morning find 10-15 more. Its disgusting. They are just yuck. I am still creeping from seeing them and keep scratching and itching and checking on me now. Its to the point i wont hug my horse nor let her lean on me or touch me at all unless its at arms length and me picking one of them nasty things off.

I have heard soooo many different things on how to manage them but whats what? I used to also use garlic in my horses feed so i sorta wondered if thats why i never saw them because even tho there wasnt many in the last place others still had them more than i did. But i dont get out there regularly to feed garlic. And due to other things i couldnt if i tried. Mainly due to gas. And she is on pasture with plenty of hay and checked on a family members friend. Which he stops and looks and if he sees no one bleeding or limping and hay and water thats it. I try to go out weekly but right now its hard.

Its not that big of a deal just spray her and keep them off that way but when i travel i dont want to take them with me and would like to nip this in the bud because where i am going they are not nearly as bad as they are here.

Soooo. I have heard of Equi spot. I have also heard to use advantage for dogs and it wont hurt horses.

I currently use bronco and just spray when i can. I also have deep woods tick spray for people. I spray her down with it when they are bad. She dont mind it and i havent noticed skin irritation from it. But thats an expensive solution. I used to use Repel X and spray the horses and area down. But this is a large area and once again cant get out there often.

Any one have methods? Are ticks going to make her really really sick? She gets nasty crusty spots in some places and then large bumps in others. And when i pick them out the skin area shows no affect later on. Poor girl actually likes it when i pick the things off and when they are on her teets she puts her head in the air and nods and i am sure it prolly hurts the way i have to pull them out in that area.

These things are just disgusting and i am going to have the vet draw blood and check for things but i need to nip this in the bud and ticks be gone.
    Ivonne
    Ivonne
    Mustang

Number of posts : 437
    Humor : If God is watching us. The least we can do is be entertaining.
    Registration date : 2009-02-08

Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do? Empty Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do?

Post  Ivonne Fri May 22, 2009 11:11 am

I have the same problem where my horses are. Ticks are so friggin gross!!!

I pulled off I dunno how many...off Big Boy Willie (the draft). Funny thing, though, Junior the Quarter had only one on his butt. That's it. Haven't picked any more off of him.

I use Repel X. I buy the concentrate, mix my own spray out of it. You pay way less and it kills the ticks on contact and repels them. You've got to spray for 7 days straight (make sure you don't use more than what you should mix. 3 ounces for 24 ounces of water).... then you can spray once a week.

It's the only thing that I've found to work.
    Lil Imp
    Colt

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2009-03-13

Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do? Empty Re: Ticks Ticks Ticks EWWWWW what to do?

Post  Lil Imp Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:59 am

Thats what i used to treat the area last summer. I couldnt treat the area the horses were at before because it wasnt my place. I moved my mare back in may and tried to clean her up then moved her in june to a place that they treat the area and the horses for ticks and flies. Although it doesnt work for flies we have yet to see another tick.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 am