Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out: www.EasyStepHorsemanship.com

Confidence, Acceptance, Understanding

2 posters

Squamous cell cancer on sheath

Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Squamous cell cancer on sheath Empty Squamous cell cancer on sheath

Post  Daisygldfsh Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Hey,
    Yesterday I had to take my gelding to the vet for her to remove a growth on his sheath. It started several months ago when a vet came to the barn to clean sheaths. She found a sore on my little guy with instructions to keep an eye on it. It never healed so we called the vet again and she gave him antibiotics.
    It never healed and in fact, it began to grow.
    The vet believes that because his sheath is white that he had developed a squamous cell cancer.
    We will know in a week if 1) she got it all and 2) what type of cancer it is.
    wjm in wi
    wjm in wi
    Mustang

Number of posts : 191
    Humor : clean and dry
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Squamous cell cancer on sheath Empty Re: Squamous cell cancer on sheath

Post  wjm in wi Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:53 pm

That's too bad...I sure hope he's ok!
    I went out to do my first sheath cleaning yesterday....and was foiled, as he seemed to know I wanted to clean it and didn't drop it for the hour+ we had him tied up! Any tips how to get them to drop?? He has white skin too, so thanks for the heads up to keep a watch on that.
    Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Post  Daisygldfsh Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 am

I've been working on that especially now that he's had a growth. What I've been trying to do is "tickle" or rub it down. At first, he was cow kicking but now I've got him to drop about a third of the way down. I'm hoping with enough practice he'll drop it when I touch him.
    If anyone else has an idea of how to "teach" him to drop his sheath, I'm all ears. Not something I'm excited to clean but I'm not willing to have a untented cancer grow on him either.
    Daisygldfsh
    Daisygldfsh
    Mustang

Post  Daisygldfsh Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 am

Woo Hoo, I think I figured out how to take care of his sheath without getting cowkicked!!!
    He did have a squamous cell cancer and the pathology said the vet got it all. Good news. I've been able to touch but not clean, so I decided today was the day!
    I got my SWAT jar, halter him and slowly asked him to drop it. Mind you, I had his tail and kept a snug hold of it and the lead was laying across his back, so if he did go to cowkick and the tail pulling didn't work, I could grab the lead and disengage him away from me.
    I found a spot on his buttock that actually relaxes him. He more or less let me SWAT him and he dropped it long enough for me to inspect it carefully.
    I've also decided that I need to keep sunscreen around it. So I've bought zinc oxide, (diaper cream) that will help block the sun.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 am